What is the GREEN GAIN Program?
The Sustainable Business Assistance GREEN GAIN program provides matching grants up to $15,000 from the Portland Development Commission and technical assistance from the Zero Waste Alliance. Targeted funds are available in all areas of Portland and especially in the Urban Renewal Areas.
Would you like to reduce fees associated with regulations?
- Will you be renovating or expanding a facility?
- Would you like to improve process efficiency?
- Are you moving your operations?
- Would you like to reduce the hazards from chemicals in your workplace?
- Would you like to reduce your carbon footprint?
If so, read on...
What are some examples?
Sustainable Business Assistance
Green Gain Program Participants include:
||Frank Creative helps clients such as Timberland, Spyder, O’Neil and Teva position their brand, sell their products and grow their business. They are in the Ford building, circa 1914. Their high-performance building tenant improvement project resulted in:
• Enhanced indoor air quality
• Natural and energy efficient lighting
• Use of local and recycled materials
• Creative use of repurposed materials in artistic installations.
||Rejuvenation, Inc., America’s leading manufacturer of authentic period lighting.
Through adoption of sustainable business practices, Rejuvenation has been able to:
• Eliminate sewer discharge fees
• Save $14,155 annually
• Continue uncompromised product quality.
||Doubletree Hotel and Executive Meeting Center, Portland, Oregon is adopting sustainable practices. Recent water use saving tactics have resulted in:
• Annual savings of 2.9 million gallons of water (11 percent of total usage)
• Annual water and energy savings of $43,283
• Local and state recognition for their efforts.
||Harry’s Fresh Foods through a pilot project to integrate sustainability and Lean Enterprise*. Harry’s can
• Develop a long term sustainability plan
• Reduce hot water usage by changing cleaning practices, saving $10,000 per year
• Identify effluent process improvements that can save $10,000 to $20,000 per year
*A business system for organizing and managing product development
|| NW Bumper Company, utilized the Green Gain Program to
• Reduce disposal of unusable bumpers by disposal at landfills, and
• Identify the most effective approaches to recover costs associated with recycling.
What services are available?
Our ZWA team has many years experience in a wide range of fields and can provide support in the following areas:
- Green building and remodels
- Energy, water and other resources efficiency
- Technical research
- Process improvement
- Waste stream diversion
- Sustainability Management Systems
- Environmental Management Systems
- Energy Management systems
- Project management
- And more...
What Are the Benefits?
The Sustainable Business Assistance
GREEN GAIN program provides benefits to your organization as well as the city of Portland and its citizens.
Money savings, short and long term
- Reduced impacts on the environment
- More stable businesses in Portland
- Job creation and retention in Portland
- More vital Portland economy
- Healthier neighborhoods in Portland
The mission of PDC, to achieve a vital economy with healthy neighborhoods and quality jobs in Portland, is complemented by the Zero Waste Alliance’s efforts to develop environmentally sustainable solutions and successful businesses.
By providing these funds, the city promotes industrial innovation and encourages businesses to move toward environmentally sustainable practices. This program provides PDC the opportunity to showcase the practical application and benefits of sustainability.
Contact us to discuss your need. If it fits the program we'll develop a scope of work and get the quick approval process started.
Call Scott Davis, (503) 279-9383, or email sdavis@Isdf.org
For additional information:
top of page